Friday, August 12, 2011

I will preface this by saying that I wish I was better at writing.

It’s 6:15 and I can’t get back to sleep (both hubs and the baby get up at 5) because all I can think is “he’s gone”

He’s gone.

As of yesterday morning, he’s gone.

He’s gone and it’s not fair.

It wasn’t supposed to happen this way.  We were supposed to get at least 5-10 more years.

I accepted a long time ago that he would never see my kids grow up like he was able to with my sister’s kids but I never imagined that not only would my kids not have a single memory of him, he wouldn’t even get to meet most of them.  She is my shield but it’s also hard to look at Miss P and not think about how he’s not going to be around to see her walk and talk or anything else.

I think that’s the worst part because my dad was (oh god it hurts to have to write “was”) so amazing with babies.  A little less tolerant of kids but amazing with babies.

The timing isn’t fair either.  (oh yes, time for self pity)

We literally *just* moved 1600 miles away.  I have a beautiful baby and a great new house.  This should be a wonderful happy time for us.  And they were going to follow us out to Colorado next year too.

This is not a curve ball that Life needed to throw my direction right now.  Not that there’s ever a good time.

I did get to see him last week but how was I supposed to say goodbye to the only man who loved me for the first 26 or so years of my life?  In trying to be hopeful and upbeat when we left (twice even since we didn’t make it out of Philly airport the first attempt), I feel a little like I robbed myself of the chance to tell him a few things and truly say goodbye.  But that’s my fault and no one else’s.

It all happened so quickly.  He only first went in the hospital on May 31st.  He only came home to hospice last week Tuesday.  14 weeks sick and 9 days at home, really?  That’s all the time we get to wrap our heads around this? 

And another thing… Why can’t we get some research money into other types of cancer?  I think breast cancer has been researched to death and I think everyone on the planet is aware (no offense to breast cancer sufferers).  How about some research on bile, liver and pancreatic cancers so that some day the diagnosis won’t be a death sentence?

Anyway sorry to those of you who are reading this and finding out my unhappy news but I can’t deal with having to talk about it just yet.  I probably wouldn’t even be doing this except I’ve been mentally drafting blog posts for a few days and I can’t really do any of the 13,000 things that need doing (first on the list trying to find the moving truck with the rest of our stuff since it is hauling around 50+ years of family photos some of which we want for the wake) because the babe gets upset if she wakes up and I’m not in bed with her.

MJW_8830
This will ever and always be my favorite picture of us, Dad. I’ll never stop missing you.

3 comments:

  1. Marcy,

    You don't need to better at writing, you have me sniffling on the metro, with wet eyeballs.

    I'm so sorry for your loss, and cant imagine being in your shoes right now.

    We are never prepared to lose a parent, they're supposed to be the strong, protective people who are always there for us. While your dad may no longer physically be here, you know he'll always be watching over you and your family. And while he may not be able to watch P grow up, you and Will can share your memories and love for him with her.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I know it doesn't always offer comfort but know its there.

    Much love and many hugs,
    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcy, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. My thoughts are with you and your family. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcy, I'm so sorry you had to write this, but you did it so beautifully. It's ok to think that it's not fair and that you didn't get enough time with your dad. It's so hard to lose a parent, at any age, at any time. I was pregnant with Thomas when Joe's mom died and she would have loved my kids so much and would have been an awesome grandma. In a few years you can tell Paige (and her siblings!) about your dad and what a wonderful grandpa he was and she will love her Grandpa Carew. Thinking of you and sending a big hug your way.

    Sandy

    ReplyDelete