Monday, January 31, 2011

nearly 7 months…

I'm discovering that there are a few distinct disadvantages of being pregnant in winter.  I've been really happy to know that I won't have to worry about being hugely pregnant in the dead heat of summer but a winter pregnancy is turning out to have its own problems.

Namely – I don’t look pregnant when I have my coat on.

I know that I specifically went looking for a non-maternity coat that I would be able to wear while pregnant without having to be that girl who can’t button her coat over her belly. For some reason the idea of just not buttoning my coat bothered me but I didn’t really want to buy a maternity coat either because that seemed like a waste of money.

My mom and I found the perfect coat in Lord & Taylor – dark loden green, empire waisted, only 3 buttons, stand-up collar and nice deep pockets.

coat 

Only problem was that the coat was popular and ran a bit small. I couldn’t find the right size in L&T in two states! But I did manage to find it in Macy’s in Tyson’s in a nice light grey. I like grey. I actually had to hold myself back from buying a mid-length grey coat last winter since I convinced myself that I had plenty of coats. So I was sold.

But I don’t look pregnant with it on. My plan worked too well.

DSC_3596

There inherent problems with not looking pregnant while commuting on public transportation.

Here are a few things that I would like to tell people:

  • “No, I am not going to run for that train. There will be another in under 10 min. No need to run the pregnant lady over.” This doesn’t apply to the bus since those only come every half hour but I DON’T like doing it.
  • “No, I am not going to walk any faster than this. Any faster and I get out of breath and a cramp in my side.”
  • “Yes, I am going to very carefully pick my path through the snow and ice. I prefer to protect myself and my baby by not landing on the ground.”
  • “Yes, I want your seat when you get up and no, I’m not likely to look up again once I have it to see if anyone else is more deserving.” I still try to avoid sitting in the handicapped/old people seats though.

I had a friend ask recently if I was dreading my commute yet. Not quite yet but I can see where I may over the next few months. See, transitioning from sitting to standing pretty much always makes me feel like I have to pee. Unfortunately, I have to walk to the bus, sit on the bus, walk to the metro, sit on a yellow train, transfer to a green train, and then walk a half mile to my office to get to work. That’s – what four transitions from sitting to standing? I can handle it all the way to my office for now but I’m foreseeing a day when I have to stop at the Sbux by the DoT after I get off the train before heading to my office.

1 comment:

  1. and I suppose you won't tack a "Baby on Board" yellow triangle on your back, now will you? ;-)

    ReplyDelete