Thursday, February 9, 2012

nursery – ah, color!

I had a color scheme in mind right from the start – green and brown.  Gender neutral without a bit of yellow. 

Yellow – YUCK!

And, well, it doesn’t hurt that green is one of my favorite colors with which to decorate.

So I gathered things here and there.  Bits of brown and bits of green.  By the time we got here, I discovered that I had like 12 different shades of green in all this stuff. 

This seemed to complicate matters when trying to decide what color to paint the walls.  I couldn’t paint them green because I would inevitably clash with something that I already had for the room and any shade of mocha or tan just seemed boring for a baby’s room.  So I just forgot about it and went on with other projects  and life.

And it hit me.

Why not paint the walls the lovely aqua-y color of the blanket that Granny had knitted for her?DSC_4399
ok, so this picture doesn’t do the color any justice.

Aqua’s gender neutral enough for babies, right?

It had even been staring me in the face since before she was born.
IMAG0157
See the blanket – green, brown, tan, and AQUA!  Made for her by my sister.

But how to decide on a specific color?
DSC_9739
Grab a bunch of different paint chips and throw them on the floor with the blanket, of course! 

As I walked over it during the day over several days, I would just nix a few here and there until I got down to 2-3.  Mom and I had talked about painting the crib wall a darker shade and the rest of the walls a lighter shade. 

But in the end, there was one that I really liked but I was afraid that I was going to be too much color.  And it wasn’t part of a set – just a one off paint chip that was the perfect color.  So I had Lowes mix the paint at a half tint for the majority of the walls and “full strength” for the crib wall.  It’s Valspar Weathered Glass.

And then we painted.
DSC_8419 
So here’s the blank slate again…
DSC_8421
I started with the half tint walls since there were more of them. DSC_8425
Same looking back toward the door – don’t worry about why the closet doors aren’t primed, I’ll get there. DSC_8428
Both colors up and ready for trim painting.DSC_8446
All done!

Ok, so I really thought that I had pictures from when I first started cutting in because it FREAKED ME OUT!  The color just seemed to be SO much color!  I’m a little afraid of color.  But I kept on painting and I was ok with it.  When I was done, I freaked out again.  But as my mom said “it’ll look different when all the stuff is in there.  So I calmed down a bit again.

But I’m used to it now and love the color! 

Now, unfortunately my attempt at an accent wall kind of failed.  You really have to sit there and study where the walls come together to tell the difference.  And you probably have to have a decent eye for color or you won’t see it at all.  Oh well.

As a kind of bonus, it kind of turned out to be nearly Tiffany blue.  hehehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment