Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Battle Cricket

We have HUGE crickets in our neighborhood and every once in a while one gets in the apartment (they're common in the basement) and annoys the heck out of us by chirping very loudly. Well, several times this week I have pulled the shower curtain back to get dried off only to find this (see picture) staring back at me from the middle of the bath mat.


He always promptly disappeared into the basket next to the toilet. Made me a little leery of going near the basket for my hairdryer and flat iron. He would disappear for a few days and then came back, disappear for a few days and then.... this morning, there he was before I got in the shower.

Clearly, he was weakened by the time spent hiding out in the bathroom as I was able to go get a cup from the kitchen and catch him (I don't do bug killing - sorry, Will). Now, I did maim him in the process - he lost a back leg - but he was alive and kicking many hours later. For perspective on the hugeness of these crickets, check out the next pic.


Humans: 1, Crickets: 0

3 comments:

  1. We finally get a pet and you want to keep him cooped up under a cup! Let me know if you see him jumping around, because I haven't seen him since he went swimming a few hours ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That thing is prehistoric-scary! Reminds me of the basement dwellers at 4106. I put a bar of Irish Spring in the shower and the big hairy spiders have stopped, but the million leggers and their babies just won't go away. The other night I went to bed with one on the ceiling, I still can't believe I was able to fall asleep :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Liz: Those million leggers may have forgotten the terms of the truce--they were allowed to live as long as I didn't see them--or perhaps they figure the basement is fair game now that I'm gone. You may have to renegotiate.

    ReplyDelete