Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Pet Peeves

So for a bit of a mental break from the h*ll that is called "wrapping up grad school during the most beautiful summer we've had in DC in the 7 years I've lived in the area" - my pet peeves.

By now people may have realized that while I don't hold a grudge (most of the time - there's 1 or 2 exceptions), I am easily annoyed and irritated particularly when stressed. So I have a few pet peeves.

DC specific:
  • people who wait for the gates to close after the person in front of them when entering/leaving Metro even while holding a SmarTrip in hand -- they should know better!
  • people who either don't wait for passengers to get off a train before trying to get on or who wait patiently but only leave space enough for people to exit single-file.
  • people talking on their cell phones at loud volume -- actually make that anyone talking loudly -- in the morning on the train.
  • standing on the left on escalators -- there are few escalators that I don't walk up: Rosslyn, Dupont Circle... the tall ones cuz I'm lazy.
  • tourists who will one day get themselves or someone else hurt doing any number of dumb things on Metro -- don't get me wrong, I actually enjoy chatting with the tourists on occasion but, man, they can be dumb.
Work:
  • when my coworker has his computer speakers up loud, making me think that I've got mail when really it's his mail.
  • people who send e-mails from the next room -- get up and talk to me! only acceptable if I'm not in the office.
Weddings:
  • INCONSISTENCY! there are ways to pick a theme - be it a theme (western, medieval, Disney) or a color scheme or just a concept (simple, elegant) - and keep it going. It really doesn't take much thought.
  • just because you can register for it doesn't mean that you should - hello, toiletries.
  • poorly sized bouquets whether too big (think head-sized) or too small (they get lost).
General:
  • people (particularly women) who manage to look crisp and put together in the heat of the summer -- seriously, I want to know how they manage to keep their shirts crisp and tucked in, their skirts from twisting around, and their hair and makeup flawless.
  • people who can't park properly so you have to park weird and then they leave and you look like a jerk.
  • the way fun events always seem to pile up on the same weekends.
  • the word "obvi" -- Sorry, Liz! Not that you didn't know that.
  • professors who think they are the end all, be all and you have nothing else going on in life - like life, a full-time job, etc. -- thankfully, this won't be a problem too much longer!
  • people who don't apologize (no matter how briefly) for stepping on or running into you
Oops... school kind of riles me up and makes me angry so this got a little long.

1 comment:

  1. It's fine, just as long as some day you fix my wedding consistency before its too late ;)

    ReplyDelete