Sunday, March 28, 2010

spring has sprung!

The high today may have only been 59 – though it felt much much colder – and yesterday it was only in the mid-50s too but Spring is with us. 

I took a few minutes yesterday to take pictures of my favorite signs of Spring.

Cherry Blossoms
This is the DC area so a big favorite is the cherry blossoms.  They are planted everywhere including in our neighborhood.

DSC_0223  A lot of folks don’t like them because of the allergies they cause but I love when the Barlett Pear trees bloom.  They closely resemble blooming poplar trees.

DSC_0226
Daffodils are a big deal in VA.  There are stretches of highways and parkways that are carpeted in them.  I actually slightly prefer tulips but they aren’t out just yet.

DSC_0230
Forsythia – it may be pesky and hard to get rid of but I love it!

DSC_0232   DSC_0234
I call them “Tulip” trees but we learned during a trip to the National Arboretum that they’re hybrid magnolias. – LOVE THEM!

DSC_0217


They aren’t quite ready but the dogwoods – Virginia’s state tree and flower – are budding so they’ll be out soon!

1 comment: