Monday, May 3, 2010

coachella “fashion”

Ok, I’m a girl and I won’t admit to knowing that much about fashion (I know enough to not look totally stupid but I don’t get into trends until they’ve stuck around for a bit) but one of the first things to catch my attention upon arriving inside the Coachella grounds was the people.  And wow, the people.

IMG_1097In fact one of the first things I did was text Liz about how great the people watching was.  Here’s proof (of the texting that is):

Glamour posted that the celeb uniform was a short dress and boots which I don’t understand.  Well, they weren’t too far off for what the average festival attendee was wearing except that it was even odder than that.  So, of course, I started taking pictures.

But first – the typical festival goer:
DSC_0017DSC_0058
The name of the game was as little as possible during the day so a bikini and a crossbody bag was a very common combo.  Also common – a flowy dress tied up for maximum exposure.
DSC_0027DSC_0056
The bikini with a barely there cover-up was another common sight and the gold lamé bikini (on right) was practically ubiquitous. DSC_0098DSC_0112
This couple on the left was a good example of the normalcy that you could find.  These girls on the right – well, they read the Glamour post and wore boots with their dresses.  I don’t get it – it’s too hot in the desert for boots!
DSC_0142DSC_0145
This girl looks cute but straight up polyester in the desert doesn’t seem to make much sense to me – It doesn’t breathe.  I guess this girl on the right knew I was taking her picture – oops.

next – oddities of hair
DSC_0068DSC_0146
the side faux-hawk up against the fully committed mohawk.DSC_0096DSC_0095 
And, of course, the wigs were every where as well.

IMG_1114DSC_0103
A girl with a very interesting colored mohawk.  This other girl was fairly typical with all the braids, things, and feathers.  Feathers were BIG.

Ok and now for the true weirdnesses (which I’m going to try to place in order of growing oddity) -
DSC_0126  IMG_1135
So these guys on the left were clad in shorts and vests but no shirts.  In particular that one guy is wearing a FUR vest.  This other hippie dude well, he was in line ahead of us for dinner on day 1 and it was like a train wreck that we couldn’t look away from.

IMG_1138IMG_1293
Now we have the boy version of inappropriate boot-wearing.  If it’s too warm to wear your shirt, it’s too warm for boots.  This other kid’s shirt says, “Where’s Chumbawamba?”

IMG_1134IMG_1112
Two odd things that were seemingly everywhere: body paint and odd girls with hula hoops.

IMG_1192IMG_1193
Wearing lingerie as your outfit was a terribly common occurrence.

IMG_1186IMG_1219 edit
This chick continues the lingerie trend but adds the boots.  And the other guy well, he had biohazard symbols on his pants that you can’t see and was wearing a face mask (yes, like Ravi did).IMG_1151DSC_0144
I’m going to assume that Mr. Mexican wrestler man and the monkey mask were leftover from Halloween but I bet I’m wrong.

A few clearly homespun outfits made it to the festival as well:DSC_0148IMG_1146 edit
This girl on the left actually appears to have a bit of sewing talent whereas this girl on the right seems to have simply attached large spangles (or mirrors, perhaps) to the seat of a leotard or bathing suit.

The ability to be seen in the dark was key for some:
DSC_0239LED man
Glow sticks of all kinds were everywhere but this other guy made himself a shirt of LEDs (we came across him another night still in the shirt so he was committed to his look).

But my personal favorites on the weirdness factor are these 2 ladies:

1. Bikini and rainbow furry boots.  I was so proud of myself for getting the picture without being noticed.DSC_0285      

2. The creepy rabbit girl the first night.  She was so WEIRD.  Not only did she have this get up on but she was acting all weird too.

IMG_1141

That concludes my “fashion” report which I’ve been looking forward to writing.  And there was so much more but I didn’t have any celebrity sightings though I gather from People there should have been some good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment