Wednesday, February 2, 2011

69 down 76 to go…

These suckers have been the bane of my existence since right before Thanksgiving when they were prescribed to me:
DSC_3259

And technically, I’m not even taking these ones anymore.  I’m now on a dose that’s half again higher.

Without going into all the details, they are shots that contain blood thinners that I have been instructed by several knowledgeable doctors to take.  I have to take them in some form until I give birth (I’ll change to different meds at 36 weeks).  And I may have to do this every time I decide to be pregnant – that is yet to be determined.

I’m not afraid of needles but that doesn’t mean that I like them.  I still get the joy of sticking myself with one of these suckers every night between 8 and 10 pm (I’m supposed to do it at 8 because that’s what I decided on but sometimes i forget and it’s closer to 10 or 11 when I remember).  It’s a tiny half inch needle that I have to stick in my “love handles” as the instructional video said.

Everyday. 

For approximately 145 days.

It’s not terribly pleasant. 

It burns.  Even more at the higher dosage.

It leaves little tiny bruises on my belly.

It’s my first lesson in sacrificing my own comfort and dealing with my own fears for my children.

1 comment:

  1. I know it sucks but if it works it is worth it. Others before yhou have done it and you will survive it too.

    ReplyDelete