Monday, August 3, 2009

Grad School Review - Year 1

The basic story is that I got bored living in VA, going to work in DC, not having a boyfriend, and not much else going on in my life. So early in 2005, I decided to go back to school to get my MBA. I did some research and intended on applying to George Washington, George Mason and American. I looked at Georgetown but they were just starting a part-time program and I didn't want to be a guinea pig. In the end, I only applied to and got accepted at George Washington and Foggy Bottom became my after work haunt 2 nights a week. Granted, I got a boyfriend (and now husband) before I got started with classes so I had the life I was looking for but I did it anyway. Why? I'm a glutton for punishment, the Navy was paying for the classes (with nothing asked of me in return), and hopefully someday, it'll get me out of working for the DoD.

Fall ‘05
Human Dynamics in Organizations – actually, not as bad as it sounds and I met 2 lovely ladies in this class but both finished before me :( We would have done better on our project had we not forgotten to tack on the discussion questions at the end.
Financial Accounting – um, when you’re a Math major and think logically, accounting is easy-peesy. Loved it but not enough to be an accountant.

Spring ‘06
Managerial Economics for MBA – econ sometimes escapes me but I like it. Nam Pham is an AWESOME professor. So much fun!
Managerial Accounting – HATEFUL class! Mostly because of our old Asian professor. He refused to use a textbook and I swear never told us when we actually had the answer right. I spent the semester comparing it to being taught by your grandpa. The only class I’ve gotten less than an A- in.

Summer ‘06
Marketing Management – Dr. Divita is awesome but has since retired. Somehow I ended up in a group in which I was the one to get it. It was weird to me because I didn’t think I would get marketing.

Business and Public Policy – Dr. Ernie Englander, how I wished he taught more classes. He managed to make the driest material interesting. Seriously, we studied Sarbanes-Oxley most of the session and it was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment