Tuesday, June 15, 2010

dresser saga part 3

I have to write this today because we should have a dresser on Saturday!

After all the saga on deciding on a dresser and the adventure to PA to order it and the wait since February, it’s supposed to be delivered on Saturday.

Yippee!

But first we had to decide on a finish.  We had left Pennsylvania with a couple of color chips but Marlin was supposed to come up with something similar to one of the ones we had – a little lighter or a little redder, I can’t remember now actually.

I had to call a few times in order to get the extra chips but we did finally receive them – all 8 of them.
DSC_0509
The bottom two are the ones we left PA with and then there’s the whole set that he sent us.

Then I quickly nixed half of the new ones for various reasons – mostly for being too brown – I think cherry shouldn’t be too brown.
DSC_0510
So then I was left with these six and I ignored them for about a week.

Until Marlin started stalking us and leaving messages which I never returned and he resorted to calling me at work.  He was stalking me because a) our dresser is finished assembly and b) he’s going to be in Manassas on Saturday so he wanted to be able to deliver our piece in the same trip.  Reasonable. 

So we had to make a decision quickly. 

As in I talked to him on Monday (yesterday) and had to call him back Tuesday morning so that it could be stained and delivered by the end of the week.

I decided to take them into our room – future dresser’s new home – and put them up on the shelf to make the final selection. DSC_0703
all of the choices in a row.

DSC_0704 
Sorry #4, you’re out for being too light.  Thanks for playing.

DSC_0705  Could you take your friend #5 with you as well?  He doesn’t suit our need for darkish wood either.

DSC_0706
And #1 is out of the running – a little too brown.  Like I said - I like redder cherries.

DSC_0707
At this point our handsome co-host got bored with the selection process and decided to have a one-man shadow bunny show.

DSC_0708Our winner!  Oddly enough it’s one of the original 2 chips that we left PA with.  This picture sucks.  It’s the left one of the 2 by themselves in the 2 pictures above. 

It’s a special mix that he randomly had lying around when we were there.  It has the following formula on the back:

9 – Brown Sienna
2 – Yellow Oxide
1 – Raw Umber
1 – Black
1 – Brilliant Red

Now the bad thing is that as much I was thinking about needing to call Marlin when I got to work as I was on my way to work – I forgot! 

But then I remembered!  At 10am.  Still morning so not too bad.

I had to leave a message and then decided to follow it up with an e-mail just to cover my bases.

Can I tell you that I love that even for Mennonites the e-mail worked better than the phone message?

Now I just have to remember to call him tomorrow about delivery since he’s supposed to call me but I’m not going to be in the office – oops.

I just can’t wait to have real “adult” furniture!

No comments:

Post a Comment