Wednesday, June 2, 2010

lesson learned

So I learned an interesting lesson this evening. When rewriting recurring posts (g&p updates, for example), do NOT pull up the previous version in Live Writer, change the title and expect it to become a brand new post.

I learned after hitting publish on “g&p – 9 months” that apparently that is not how it works. (which, by the way, I should know as I have changed the title on previously published posts before.)

Live Writer completely wiped out the 8 months post that I started with.

Take a look.

Click the triangle next to May.

Scroll through the month of May.

There is no g&p post in May anymore.

It’s gone.

Actually, first it even put the new post on May 2nd where the original post had been posted. Then I changed the publishing date and it disappeared from cyberspace.

Now take a look at the specific web address for 9 months (hover over the link above or the title below).

Notice how there’s an 8 in there.

Great. Proof positive of my stupidity.

Never doing that again. Back to the old cut and paste routine.

I may go back and briefly recreate the 8 month post but I’m not sure just yet.

update: I got bored and recreated it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment