Thursday, June 10, 2010

ummm... WNY protesters??

So I've been bad and I've been driving to work a lot lately.

See, PT taught me that I can actually get to work on time while still leaving the house late if I drive. I just have to leave by 3 or I'm screwed and that's really the problem.

I drove on Tuesday because I had an errand to run after work (that took me 3 hours but I think I'll complain about that in a different post) and then I drove again today because I was being lazy and late because I was writing softball e-mails this morning before I left. The e-mails could have waited until I got home again this evening and I totally would have made the bus but I didn't feel like it.

Ok... my point...

My point is that there have been protesters outside the 9th Street gate of the Navy Yard.

I say "Navy Yard" and "protesters" and you might think "oh - they're protesting some new ship or new missile." Something defense related anyway.

Nope.

These unfortunate hispanic guys are out there protesting because their employer is not paying their paychecks.

It would appear that a construction company has been contracted by the Navy to work on building 200 and said construction company is not paying their workers.

Now the question is: "is the Government paying the construction company and the construction company isn't turning around and paying its workers? or is the Government not paying the construction company and the construction company is passing that along to the workforce by not paying them?"

No clue.

But they're out there banging on their empty 5 gallon paint buckets and waving their signs and smiling at pretty girls who drive by - that would be me of course - and well, protesting.

What they probably don't realize is that by stationing themselves by the 9th Street gate (which I'm sure they chosen by virtue of being close to the building on which they're working), they're only being seen by about a quarter of the people that enter the Navy Yard.

They need to move to the 6th Street gate if they really want to make some noise and be seen by some admirals.

No comments:

Post a Comment