Wednesday, June 30, 2010

the gold coast

gold coast After finishing Eggers’ terrible book, I picked up a book that I’ve actually read before, The Gold Coast by Nelson DeMille. I read it back in high school but he has since written a sequel (The Gate House) that I intended to read upon rereading The Gold Coast (actually my whole reason for rereading The Gold Coast in the first place) but I’ve gotten distracted by other books.

The story centers on blueblood Wall Street lawyer, John Sutter, and his new neighbor and subsequent client, Mafia don, Frank Bellarosa. Bellarosa has been accused of murder and plots to have his socially connected neighbor represent him.

It’s the Mafia, what else is he going to do?

A few heads roll.

A couple of birdies sing.

A pair gets entangled.

The hardest thing about the book was remembering that it’s set in the ‘80s during the height of the crack down on the New York Mafia rings which is, of course, key to the course of the narrative.

It’s a page turner (for all 750+ pages even if I did read almost an entire book before I read the last 10 pages – don’t ask.  it has to do with 10 pages left + book weight + metro.) but I still haven’t figured out yet how exactly to write about books without giving away the plots.

No comments:

Post a Comment