Sunday, November 28, 2010

to know or not to know…

that is the question.

The sex of the baby that is.

1 September 2010

Besides the worries about miscarriages, are we going to be good parents, eating right, and all the rest; my biggest internal conflict is whether to find out what we’re having when the time comes at 20 weeks.

I think Will will just let me decide and go with whatever I want – he’s sweet like that – but I’m not sure what I want.

On one hand, I’ve always wanted that “It’s a ____” moment after giving birth.

But on the other, I really like to plan and I can’t plan if we don’t know what we’re having.

Hence – conflicted!

Apparently the new thing is to have a “sex party” – no, not like that. It’s a party wherein the sex of the baby is revealed to all – parents, friends, and family – all at the same time. It involves the technician writing boy/girl on a piece of paper, sealing it in an envelope which then gets given to a baker with instructions to either color the cake or the filing pink or blue so that when it gets cut in to, all is revealed.

Seems weird to me.

But also kind of a cute way to celebrate the news.

As of writing, I have 14 weeks to hash this out with myself and my wonderful hubby.

29 November 2010

So now we’re down to about 2 weeks – our sonogram is scheduled for 13 December – and we still haven’t decided.

I still like the idea of not finding out but then I don’t like the idea of being surprised with the first but then finding out in the future. I feel like it should be all or nothing – either we find out for all our kids or none of our kids.  And I’m not sure that I can handle the waiting more than once.

There was a Baby Center blog post a few months ago that caught my attention on this very topic: 8 Reasons to Find Out Your Baby’s SexI identify most with 3 of her points…

I have admitted that I want a boy first.  I’m not shy about saying what I want – I want any girls that we do have to have an older brother.  Besides, then the family can relax because there will be at least the potential for another generation of Davenports (this comes from marrying the last male Davenport).  So maybe we should find out sooner rather than later because then I can get over myself if we are having a girl first which tends to be the trend in both of our immediate families.

We have so much going on that we can’t plan for that it would be nice to have something that we can plan for and, let me tell you, this lady likes to plan.  We still want to keep things fairly neutral – there won’t be any bright pink princess rooms or all blue with lots of trucks for us – because I don’t see the need to have to buy things new for future kid(s).  If it can be reused the second time around, it should be neutral.  Besides, my favorite color to decorate with – GREEN!

And thinking back on when I’ve bought shower presents for friends, it’s more fun when you know.  It may be shallow but it’s true.

Bottom line: we haven’t decided but lately I’m leaning towards knowing.

So here’s poll because I’m curious what people think:

6 comments:

  1. No, no and no...don't find out! We've now done both and it's more fun not finding out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to submit my choice but it did not work:( I too am a HUGE planner. I like to have a take home outfit, and I think if I had a girl I would want it to be a tad girly. Josh would have liked it to be a surprise, but understood why I just HAD to know:) Either way, if the surprise is at the ultrasound or when the baby is out of your belly, it is an amazing surprise. I cannot wait to hear what you decide to do!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Amy...there will still be many surprises, this is just one piece that will help you plan and help you to get more presents ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just found out that our third is a girl. We didn't find out for the first two. I'm already sorry that we know - it's much more fun to get excited about both.

    That said, the "It's a boy/girl" moment at the hospital is IMHO overrated. There is so much going on, even in a perfect birth scenario, that when the nurse says "It's a XXXX" you're like "Oh yea - I forgot to be excited to find out". At that point you're so happy that everybody is healthy and that the ordeal is over that the sex doesn't really register as much as it would beforehand.

    Congrats guys, it's an amazing journey.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I voted that it's good to know, but ultimately it's your decision to make. It seems like you could go either way. If you DO find out, you'll have to let us know :)

    ReplyDelete