Monday, October 19, 2009

think pink

Not only did we begin volunteering at the library which is interesting and mind-numbing at the same time (an aside: I'm doing fiction and have similar issues with people not understanding the alphabet and apparently misclassified books as Will does. I've also found that I can't do it without talking to myself. oops.) but I also got Will in on one of the events that I help out with every year - ZTA's Think Pink with the NFL.

In past years, I've enlisted Will's assistance in pinning pink ribbons to cards which is a horribly boring job that makes your fingers hurt after awhile. I, in turn, have woken up at the butt crack of dawn to meet my sisters at Clyde's in Mark Center to make balloon arches and then go to the FedEx Field to hand out the pink ribbons to fans at a Redskins game. I've learned a few tricks in handing out ribbons - mostly that you don't ask people if they want them, you just stand next to the openings in the jersey walls and hand them to people while they're not really paying attention. You'll find that most people won't even think twice and will just take whatever is handed to them.



Making balloon arches is a slightly more thankless task seeing as it's early, involves helium tanks, archline, latex balloons and small specific skills. I have learned that I hate tying balloons together (instead of tying each balloon individually, we tie 2 together and then twist 2 pairs to make a group of 4 - the basic building block of a balloon arch) so I've developed a knack for stringing the arch together. Because it's early, it can be hard to get volunteers to come out and we have to make 6 balloon arches by 8am. Since we were having the condo appraised the same day, I'd decided to only do arches this year and drag Will along for an extra pair of hands. He turned out to be really helpful in retrieving lost balloons from the ceiling being taller than everyone else there.

No comments:

Post a Comment