Thursday, April 15, 2010

sick puppy

sick puppy

Carl Hiassen’s Sick Puppy… well, I’m not exactly sure what to say about it which is why I finished it over a week ago and am just now getting to this.  I almost want to call it a farce about eco-terrorism and politics for lack of anything better. 

There is a dog, a lobbyist’s dog to be precise, but he’s not sick.  I think the title is more along the lines of “man, he’s one sick puppy” for someone who is really out there and into some weird stuff.  Because there’s a lot of characters, major and minor, who are into some really weird stuff in this story.

The main thrust of the story is Twilly Spree, a developer’s son with anger issues and plenty of money and free time, and his overwhelming need to teach Florida lobbyist, Palmer Stoat, a lesson about littering.  Of course, the littering becomes a small thing after he discovers Stoat’s involvement in the development of a small island.

There’s a lot of back and forth with the lobbyist, the governor, the developer, and various other in sundry unsavory characters.  A few people die -  some needlessly and a few rather appropriately.  And a lot of crazy things happen along the way.

It’d be a good summer read by some water.  I only got it for $2 (in hardback) so it was worth the money.

1 comment:

  1. I had this on my shelf! I have a weird love for all his books, I think it is the enviro girl in me. They are a lot of fun to listen to in the car. Liz :)

    ReplyDelete