Sunday, April 4, 2010

yummy easter cake!

We don’t really have any set desserts for Easter other than Mom getting an egg cake from the grocery store.  (Shaped like an egg – not something weird with a lot of eggs in it.) 

And apparently dessert was mine to decide this year – not sure how that happened but I took up the challenge. 

I suggested two cakes that I’d found on Good Things Catered and Mom picked the Pink Champagne Cake based on which recipe we needed the fewest new ingredients to make.

It wasn’t too hard to make though it was a bit of a challenge because I’m not exactly a master baker.  I just like to dabble at times.  This was probably the third layer cake I’ve made ever.  At least I had Mom as my highly more experienced sous chef. 

I didn’t get any pictures while I was making it (it would have been much easier with my KitchenAid but I was in NJ and it lives in VA).  But here’s the finished product:

IMG_1048 
One thing we did think was that we should have made it pinker. And I need to work on my cake decorating skills – though I will say that Mom doesn’t actually have any proper tools for icing a cake.

IMG_1062 
But one thing’s for sure – it tasted GREAT!  The champagne gives the cake a very moist texture and an interesting flavor – Mom and I thought it tasted almost like it had cream cheese in it but it didn’t.  We had a few other guesses – strawberry, cherry, rum – before we let on what kind of cake it was. 

IMG_1064 
All that was left after it was served all around.  We even got an unheard of phrase out of Greg - “I don’t think I can finish.”  It was a  bit rich especially with homemade vanilla buttercream icing.

No comments:

Post a Comment