Thursday, February 11, 2010

it's a snowmageddon miracle!

Backstory: when I was about 10, my cousin Eileen made me a gorgeous counted cross stitch Christmas stocking and a tradition was born. She continued the tradition and made stockings for Erin, Kevin and Greg. I got "stuck" with the task for my other nieces and nephews. I did fairly well for Eric - he was about 1 when I finished his.

Next up was Leia (born in 1998). I'm not actually sure when I started on hers. It was right around when she was born, I know that much.

Well.... 11+ years later - I'm finally finished.



Reasons why it's taken me so long to finish:
  • it's on navy blue cloth which makes it hard to see the holes.
  • as you might be able to see, it's a very intricate pattern.
  • it's a smaller count (number of stitches per inch) than the "standard" 14 count which makes the pattern both more dense and more difficult.
  • I got 3 degrees, a job, and married in those 11+ years ;-) which contributed to the fact that I would get tired of it and put it away for months at a time - the most recent break being 13+ months.
Now it's up to Mom to make it into a real Christmas stocking.

2 comments:

  1. WOW is all I can say. That is simply gorgeous! You are SO talented!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super impressed! Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete