Sunday, February 28, 2010

the olympics (part 1)

As I sit and watch the USA v Canada gold medal hockey game... my reflections...

As always, I have thoroughly enjoyed watching the Olympics over the last 2 weeks. I love the Olympics - always have.

Katarina Witt, Elvis Stojko, Kristy Yamaguchi, Kurt Browning, Brian Boitano and the French guy who would do back flips figure skating through my childhood - I even remember when they actually had to do "figures" which they quit doing in 1990 (last seen at the '88 Olympics).

Dan Jansen and Bonnie Blair back in the day.

Way back when in the days when you got an election year, Summer and Winter Olympics all in one year! And then the subsequent 6 year break in Winter Olympic Games. I have to say I like getting my dose of Olympics every 2 years instead of 4.

I wish I could say that I remembered the Miracle on Ice but I was only about 3 weeks old.

And that's just the Winter Olympics; I'm equally as obsessed with the Summer Olympics. I have distinct memories of watching Olympic tennis matches in the middle of a summer afternoon with a tennis obsessed friend in '92.

The archer lighting the cauldron in Barcelona. Muhammad Ali in Atlanta.

Amazing Opening Ceremonies and joyous Closing Ceremonies.

I even had the opportunity to visit the Olympic Museum in Lausanne, Switzerland in '04 - the best 14 francs and rainy day ever spent. One of my favorite days spent in Europe.


Taking a break in the art gallery.

The first birthday present I ever got Will was a poster from Atlanta's games from the museum (which is sadly in the basement right now due to our lack of wall space).

It is actually a life goal for Will and me to make it to an Olympic games. We almost tried to make our big vacation for 2010 a trip to the Vancouver games but would have had to make too many decisions on the heels of returning from our honeymoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment