Wednesday, February 17, 2010

snowmageddon: cooking & foraging

I had been in NJ before the initial storm hit and I remembered what the produce department looked like after the 18" we got back in December - empty. So I planned a few meals and went to the store on Wednesday before anyone could get crazy buying milk, eggs, bread and TP. From what I gather - it was probably the best decision I've made in a while.

Soup is fantastic cold weather food in my opinion so I made 2. The first is a recipe that Mom got from someone and is one of the few recipes that I know by heart.

Taco Soup
1 can each black, red, and white beans and corn (15oz cans)
1 can Rotel
1 large can diced tomatoes (28oz can)
1lb ground meat - I usually use beef but you can probably use whatever you like
1 package Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix - not the dip mix
all or as much of a package of taco seasoning mix - I only use about a spoonful. It just depends on how much heat you want
oh - and 1 medium onion chopped - I always leave it out because I'm not fond of onions.


This can all be made in a large pot. Cook onions. Brown meat. Drain off the excess fat and water. Open all the cans and pour in their contents in their entirety - do not drain. Mix in the ranch dressing mix and the taco seasoning. Heat through and serve with tortilla chips and shredded cheese. I've thought that sour cream and avocado would probably go well with it if you like them.


The second one I made came from a Real Simple recipe that Will picked out: Cheddar and Beer Soup. Except for the dicing (my knife skills could definitely stand to be improved), it was really easy and super tasty. The only thing I did was to be sure that I bought good cheddar cheese - Cabot's Seriously Sharp to be exact.

My only thing with the recipe was that it makes no mention of needing to blend or process it but to get it as smooth and creamy as it looks in the picture in the magazine, it had to have been.

By Tuesday, we needed some more supplies after eating 3 meals a day at home. Snow makes you want to eat, by the way. So we grabbed our bags and trekked out to the grocery store.


Will waiting patiently in line; all the other folks waiting too

headed home with our provisions

I really should have taken pictures of the pitifully empty milk and OJ cases. I was short actual lemons and heavy cream but I made do.

2 comments:

  1. I've been trying to find knife skills classes, as I have wonderful knives, but I feel like I fail to use them correctly. If I find one, any interest?

    ReplyDelete