Thursday, November 19, 2009

denver: caching & snow

The weather for our last day was forecast to be none to pleasant so we'd decided to simply drive around different areas of town and check it out. As it turned out, we perhaps should have tweaked our plan a bit because the first half of the day was actually perfectly pleasant, if a bit colder than the day before.

I knew that Will was itching to do some caching because Colorado is simply covered in caches so after lunch, I pulled out his GPSer just to see what was around. Of course, there were several within a very short distance. I directed his driving and stayed in the car for the first few. During one, the cold front really made its presence known. I sat in the car watching the bank across the street display the time, date and temperature and the temp dropped 2 degrees in less than 5 minutes.


hilarious street sign we found

After a while I got tired of sitting in the car so I started helping. With the new GPSer (ok, it's a few months old now), he can load a whole bunch into the unit using selective criteria for an entire area. It really makes it easy to attempt cache after cache. We would just find one and then pull up the next one that was close and in a northeasterly direction (the direction back to our hotel). Once I realized how easy it was, I decided that we should try to get 13 for Friday the 13th.

All the while, the weather was just getting colder and windier until it was finally snowing. I was really glad that I'd thrown my scarf, hat and mittens in the car that morning as I kept adding layers with each successive stop. We made a stop by the hotel before going out to dinner because the last two caches we found were right by there.

our last cache of the day #13

Good thing we did too because we were able to check the traffic and decide that we were too hungry to fight snow traffic into downtown Denver (which had been our plan) for dinner. It was really coming down when we left for dinner.

We ended up at Elway's, a steakhouse in Cherry Creek. YUMMMMMMMY! Worth the money. One of the more interesting sights of the evening was the whole table of elderly couples all glammed up for a dinner out with 3 of the old ladies carrying little portable oxygen tanks. Clearly, a little snow and thin air wasn't going to stop them!

No comments:

Post a Comment