Tuesday, November 3, 2009

guster @ 930 club

I've been a Guster fan since I subliminally learned all the words to "Lost and Gone Forever" junior year of college because Tara played it all the time. After we graduated, she decided that I had to be a Guster fan in my own right so she gave me L&GF and one of the early CDs (I can't remember now which one) and I was totally hooked. I now own every CD (ok, except for the Christmas ones which seems odd since I heart me some Christmas) and Live at Portland DVD and have managed to see them 3 times in DC. Thankfully, it wasn't hard to turn Will into a Gusteroid so now we actually own multiple copies of a few of the CDs.

Last Friday we got to see them on their mostly sold out (it was sold out for 2 nights in DC) 10th anniversary tour for L&GF with some friends at the 9:30 Club. BJ is a Guster fan in his own right and had 2 friends who bailed so 2 other UD friends of ours came out for their Guster introduction. I kind of felt bad for Tim and Chris since they were getting introduced to Guster in the midst of some serious superfandom. They seemed to enjoy themselves.

BJ and Will at Tabaq before the concert - it's neat up on the 3rd floor
During the first set.

Well, the show was amazing so at least they got the best possible intro. They played a first set of a mix of old (but not L&GF) and a few new songs (which sound pretty good), then they played all of L&GF in order with added musicians or other interesting additions, then they played a 3 song encore with the techno version of airport song (Will and I had heard it the last time we saw them but it was new to many) and an acoustic Jesus on the Radio.

They brought school kids on stage for "All the Way Up to Heaven" - mostly for the whistling

Acoustic "Jesus on the Radio"

The pictures aren't great and I have a video of "Jesus on the Radio" that I'll have to post at a later date after I get some technical assistance from a friend because the file is HUGE.

Afterward we went out on U Street before the dads and married folk decided to call it a night.

Will and I at Solly's

Tim explaining God knows what to Will and BJ at the Saloon.

BJ and Chris


No comments:

Post a Comment