Monday, November 23, 2009

odd things i miss about grad school

Since about mid-September, it's finally been hitting me that I'm done. I don't have to worry about grad school, assignments, getting forms approved to get my classes paid for, being somewhere 2-3 nights a week, etc. But I've also begun to realize that there are things that I kind of miss too....
  • having a specific purpose. Not a vague purpose but a specific "I have to read this chapter/article, write this paper, study for this test" purpose
  • having things to do at work that, while not being work, aren't ultimately useless or aimless
  • the random bits of computer time that I had while killing time between eating dinner and going to class - I haven't sent out a mass e-mail or cleaned out my yahoo inbox in ages (I have almost a 1,000 unsorted messages in my inbox)
  • regularly getting Potbelly cookies on my way out of Ivory Tower
  • the couscous salad, ravioli with broccoli salad, and pesto pasta salad from the buffet in Ivory Tower
  • the hustle and bustle of being on campus
  • being able to mentally make fun of all the fashion victim undergrads all the while wishing I had their disposable income
  • not always having to travel home on Metro during rush hour
  • the better people that I met and befriended (often just for the semester) in class
  • the mental stimulation - I have way too much time to think about really dumb things now
  • and, I'll admit it, having the excuse to slack off on housework and let my wonderful husband take care of me

(and yes, I am posting twice today both because I'm particularly bored and because I didn't post yesterday)

No comments:

Post a Comment