Friday, November 20, 2009

mission serve

I did find out that the challenge given to GW's students by Michelle Obama to complete 100,000 hours of service in return for a commencement speech in May 2010 is for real.

She set forth the challenge on September 11th as part of Pres. Obama's National Year of Service (as signed into legislation with the Edward M. Kennedy Serve America Act in April) and returned to GW on Veteran's Day to launch Mission Serve. In just 7 weeks, 19,000 hours had been recorded. I guess those annoying undergrads aren't as self-absorbed as I'd always thought. Go figure.

Even better - they still think I'm a student and I quite successfully signed up to record my volunteer hours to be included in the count. This is a good thing because, not being an actual student any longer, I have time for service. Looks like I have to step it up!

I may not be a huge fan of the President but I do like Mrs. Obama. How cool would it be if I were able to see her speak at my commencement?

you can find a short AP article on the event here.
you can find a copy of her remarks to GW on Veteran's Day here.
Picture courtesy of Mrs-O.

No comments:

Post a Comment