Thursday, July 8, 2010

race for the cure

For most of the years I’ve lived in DC, I’ve tried to be a part of the National Race for the Cure (now the Global Race for the Cure).  It was my very first 5k ever.

23 - first RFTC

Tara, MH and I post-race in 2003.  It poured down rain and was pretty chilly but I did it.

Ever since then I’ve walked, run, volunteered or some combination thereof.  Ok, there was probably a year that I wasn’t in town and definitely one year (last year) that I sent Will by himself.

It’s an annoying race to run, really, because of all the hordes of people.

Michelle has put together the team, Babes for a Cure, for the last several years.  That’s us below – there’s usually more of the team but I think we got a little spread out and didn’t get a complete team picture.

rftc 1

This year, I used the race as a training exercise for the Marine Corps Marathon 10k for which we’ve signed up to run in October.  It was the second race of the “season.”  We usually run the Ovarian Cancer Race for the Whisper first in May which this year I ran in 35:34.  I improved a little in RFTC even given the scrambling hordes, coming in at 34:21. 

My goal and reason for all the current running is to run the 10k in under 70:00.  I think I’m making progress.

1 comment:

  1. Great job! I think I know several people set out to run the MCM 10k.

    I agree, running RFTC just gets more and more tough now that it has grown so much. As for our team, we were pretty small this year, but yea it's so hard to get everyone together for one picture! :P

    ReplyDelete